Deciding to undertake a new home build in Western North Carolina is an exciting time in your and your family’s lives. It doesn’t matter if you’ve done this before or if it’s your first time. Scroggs Construction is here to make the process easier, so you’re closer to enjoying your new residence.
With that, let’s dive into some of the questions you need to ask yourself and your builder before deciding to hire a builder for your new home build.
What to Consider Before a New Home Build
When making such a monumental decision, it’s necessary to educate yourself and take a deep dive into your family’s needs, personal preferences, and how you wish to use your new home build.
What type of home am I looking for?
- Is this a residential property?
- Is this an investment property or a vacation home?
- How much space do I need?
- How much can I afford?
- How much upkeep and maintenance am I willing to perform?
- Will this home suit my needs as I grow older or grow my family?
For example, if you plan on retiring soon, are an empty nester, or live alone, a smaller home that requires less upkeep might be an ideal option. If you’re planning on expanding the family, you may want to start with a larger space that can grow with your children or future children. Consider these questions before meeting with a builder for your new home build so you can make the best use of your time.
Research your desired areas before deciding anything; that way, you know the community or property meets your current and future needs.
What about HOAs?
Have you wondered about constructing your new home in an HOA (homeowners association)?
You will experience no shortage of rules and restrictions, but there will also be amenities, high property values, and plenty of opportunities to meet the neighbors. Whether living in an HOA community appeals to you will depend on your lifestyle and quality of life preferences.
What is my budget For My New Home Build?
There’s a good chance that you’ve already thought about the impact of how a new home build will affect your wallet, but if you haven’t, determine a firm bottom line. Be realistic about what you can afford, and work with Scroggs Construction to design and build a home that fits your budget.
Is this my dream location?
- Will my new home build retain or appreciate its value 5, 10, or 15 or more years from now?
- Is the area safe for my family?
- Are there good schools nearby?
- How far from work is it?
- Is it near businesses we frequent?
- What about this neighborhood appeals to me? (For example, what you want in your early 20s will likely vary from what you might desire later in life.)
- Are there opportunities for activities and socialization close by?
- Is the area established? Will it continue to grow in population and affect the feel of the neighborhood?
- Are there career opportunities available?
Buying a new house is committing to residing in one specific place for many years. Reflect on some of these questions before working with a builder. Research your desired areas before deciding anything; that way, you know the community or property meets your current and future needs.
Any reputable builder will be transparent in their process, licensing, portfolio, and more…
Questions You Need to Ask Your New Homebuilder
Once you’ve taken the time to reflect and make preliminary choices, it’s time to ask your builder some crucial questions regarding your new home build, including:
- Can I see previous homes you’ve built?
- Are you insured?
- What is your process for new builds?
- Are you readily available for any questions or concerns as they arise?
- Will you be onsite at my build?
- What happens if I decide to change or upgrade something after signing?
- Will there be any extras that I will need to pay for?
- How will you handle obstacles and delays if something comes up?
- Do you have testimonials?
Choosing to build a new home is a life-changing decision. That’s why it is crucial to ask the right questions. You should never feel rushed, pressured, or forced into a decision you aren’t comfortable with. Any reputable builder will be transparent in their process, licensing, portfolio, and more. The foundation of a harmonious working relationship is based on trust and vision.
Book a Consult With Asheville’s Premier Design-Build Firm
Scroggs has years of experience answering your questions and creating the house of your dreams. As one of Asheville’s best residential builders, we have the skills, knowledge, experience, and tried and true process you can trust for your new home build.
Reach out to us today. Let’s discuss building a relationship.